Come Try Marathon Racing in 2019
Are you interested in trying out Marathon Racing in 2019? In an effort to promote the sport and encourage paddlers from other disciplines to try out Marathon Racing, Paddlers who have never taken part in a Marathon race before will have an entry fee of €10 per paddler (Reduced from standard senior entry is €20) for each of their 1st 2 ranking races in 2019.
Thanks to Jon Simmons for taking the time to put together this video
Marathon Racing is an exciting sport where fitness, strength, skill and strategy come into play. Races can take place on a number of different types of courses. Some run of rivers with some rapids or weirs while others run on flat water. Ireland has a strong tradition in Marathon racing with Irish Athletes winning medals on the world stage from the 1980’s right up to 2018. Along with this the Liffey Descent is one of the Worlds greatest Marathon races with competitors travelling from around the globe to take part. The above video features a number of our Irish Athletes who have won medals on the world stage.
Race length is typically determined by division. The top divisions usually race over courses of approx 20km but there are distances to suit everyone with courses usually starting around 5km in length for the U15 division and approx 10km in length for Senior divisions. Races can include portages where paddlers will jump out of their boats and carry them before re-entering the water.
For the Ribadesella Ranking Series there is a division for everyone. Any type of boat is welcome at any race.
- Open K2 / T2: (Guideline 15K)
- Division 1: (Guideline 20k)
- Division 2: (Guideline 20k)
- Division 3: (Guideline 15K)
- Division 4: (Guideline 10k)
- Division 5: (Guideline 10k)
- Division 5 Womens: (Guideline 10k). Open to female competitors of any age
- Division 6: (Guideline 10k).
- Division 7 (U15): (Guideline 5K -8K). Junior paddlers under the age of 15 years on the first day of January of the year of the race.
- Open Canadian: (Guideline 10k)
Sounds like this is something you would like to try? If so keep an eye out for information on upcoming races.